Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mid March Blooms

As the bees are emerging, the pussy willows are starting to produce pollen and the dandelions are just starting to bloom.

This is a good time to get out in the garden and dig the dandelion roots out of the soil. You're going to need a big shovel! I was digging out my strawberry bed to amend the soil and found some plants with nice thick roots. No need fussing about with the spindly ones, it's not worth the effort.


Put the whole plants in a bowl or sink of cold water, rubbing off the soil. Keep changing the water until it is clear. I just air dry the roots. Some people dry them in the oven to create a dandelion coffee. I'm a tea drinker myself.

Note: These roots are medicinal and there are contraindications for certain medications and medical conditions.


Time for a salad of dandelion greens, kohlrabi and radishes with lashings of my favorite salad dressing from Little Creek. This morning I had dandelion greens with my scrambled eggs and I just noticed David Lebowitz has a recipe on his blog for dandelion pesto. Sounds like a brilliant idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment