Saturday, January 4, 2014

Happy New Year from Beespeaker Saijiki


You can see this is a leafcutter bee by the bright  yellow outline of the pollen hairs on her belly. Can you see how her abdomen appears flatter than that of a honeybee? I took this photo last August at the Salt Spring Centre of Yoga.



This is probably the wierdest photo I took last year. Does anyone know what kind of fly this is on the Viper's Bugloss?  In the meantime, check out this awesome post on Echium vulgare by Brian Johnston. Although you might think the pollen grains are blue, they appear transparent under the microscope.

One of my favorite bloggers, Sean McCann is giving a talk about his work with Ibycter at the Beatty Biodiversity Museum this Sunday. I am trying to get my work done today so I can check it out. Do check out his awesome blog and Bug Girl's feature on Sean's work in her fabulous Wired column called Charismatic Minifauna.

Id' also be interested in what you think of Bird Chick's two posts on Birding and Sexism, although it's really more about haters and online misogyny in general.

I was sad to hear that another blogger/chef I follow at Butter on the Endive is suffering from cancer. Make an apple tart this week and send Owen good wishes.


This week's saijiki: Christmas trees lie abandoned on city boulevards. A wind storm scatters gifts for foragers. We drink cups of strong, spicy chai.

May your 2014 be filled with radiant joy and blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment