Sunday, April 5, 2009

Currant Events

The red-flowering currant blossoms are opening at the MOP just in time for bee-foraging weather. I saw a few honey bees out yesterday and at least one kind of syrphid fly. Oddly, I haven't seen any bumble bees out yet. I saw a dead queen on the sidewalk. Be very nice to bumble bees at this time of the year! Almost every bumble bee you see will be a queen. The species depends on the queens working alone to start her nest over from scratch.

The Oregon grape is opening up nicely too.


I love the living willow fence that volunteers built at the learning party. The catkins are putting out pollen. Bees are very dependent on pollen sources for their brood at this time of the year. Wouldn't it be great to have living willow fences all over the city to provide pollen for bees? These days I have been creating a speculative city in my mind: a Vancouver designed for pollinators. How do you think Vancouver could look if it was designed in collaboration with ecological entomologists and ornithologists?


Soon the chives will be blooming too.

Three daffodils soak up the glorious sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment