Sunday, May 21, 2023

Beespoke Cocoons: transformative community-based rituals to lighten ecological grief and process the loss of biodiversity.

 


 

 

Marriage, birth or burying,

News across the seas,

All your sad or marrying,

You must tell the bees.

 

--traditional

 

 


 

As an advocate for native bees, I have always sought to be positive and convince people they can help the plight of pollinators by the actions they take in their gardens. But lately, the grief of insect losses and other environmental catastrophes has almost paralyzed me with depression and fear. I am seeking ways I can deal with this burden of grief through a series of creative rituals inspired by natural beauty.

 


 

 I am excited to announce that I am currently artist in residence for this project at the hcma Architecture and Design studio in Victoria BC!!!! I'll be doing a deep dive into the native bees and native bee plants of Victoria and Vancouver Island.  The theme for this residency is "Delightful Unburdening," and we'll be exploring rituals that lift the burden of climate grief and anxiety.

 



I'm starting a work in progress by creating arbutus leaves with desire trails from silk organza and some embroidery thread I found at a thrift store. You can read about the source of inspiration in the blog post below. Arbutus trees are fantastic bee plants and they are blooming right now on Vancouver Island. I urge you to spend time inhaling the scent of the blossoms and looking for the bees that drink the nectar. Take your time. Saunter. Dawdle. Bee idle with the bees.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. You have inspired me to take a closer look at bees and to learn more about them. I am so happy that you have found a way to deal with your grief and a way to inspire more to be aware of bees and their scary situation. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete