Saturday, July 2, 2011

Wild Strawberries on Panna Cotta

They are like tiny edible jewels. I have one wild strawberry plant in my yard and this is the first year it has born fruit. I was reading David Lebowitz's post on wild strawberries just a couple of days ago which reminded me of the tiny berries we used to find at summer camp. I went to a ranch camp in Sundre Alberta and sometimes we'd get off our horses and search for the tiny berries that covered the foot hills at this time of the year. It was the best kind of treasure hunting.

So when I discovered a new shop called Commissary (right beside La Buca) selling their panna cotta I knew what I'd pair with my strawberries. I spooned some of the pudding into a fiesta bowl revealing the tiny vanilla seeds at the bottom. I sat in a shady corner of the garden and savored the boozy, silky panna cotta and the burst of tart berries. Panna cotta must be one of the sexiest desserts on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment