Monday, September 5, 2011

Scones with Gypsy Jams

It's a beautifully sunny Labor Day, which is supposed to be unusual. According to my father-in-law it always rains on Labor Day in Vancouver and then the sun comes out when the kids go back to school. Well, we struck it lucky today, but it's cool enough in the kitchen to bake fresh scones.

I had an unopened jar of lime marmalade from Gypsy Jams that was tempting me from the window sill. "Open me! Eat Me!" I heard the little lime voices calling me. And so I made my favorite lime scones. My son came pounding down the stairs. "Scones." I said. "I haven't made them yet." So he headed back up to the computer.

My favorite scones recipes is lightened up with the tang of yogurt:

2 cups flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C cold butter
3/4 cup yogurt

You know the drill. Mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter and work it lightly until the pieces are the size of peas. Add yogurt and just barely mix together until it holds its shape. I used a small glass to cut out the scones. Note to self: buy the bloody cookie cutter ring set. Bake on a pizza stone if you have one at 425 F. They take 15-20 minutes to bake. Once the smell of fresh scones wafted up to the second floor, I heard the whump whump whump of a hungry boy coming downstairs. He lathered his scones with raspberry jam and they disappeared.

Sivia's lime marmalade lists three ingredients: lime, water, sugar. It's got a lovely tang that sits well on top of a smear of creamy labneh. We enjoyed our warm scones with jasmine pearl tea that was a gift from my sister. I'm going to ice some of that tea and take it with me today to the natural dye workshop at the MOP. Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment