Friday, June 23, 2023

Stitching in Gratitude and Solitude

 

 

After a flurry of activity at bee school, I am now settled in a peaceful artist retreat on the east coast of Vancouver Island. I am using this period of solitude to make art from dawn to dusk. I am so grateful to have this time to look inward and go deeply into my practise on the unceded territory of the K’ómoks First Nation.



Looking at bees under the microscope and studying anatomical details is fascinating. It challenges the scientific capacity of my brain.  Now it's time to use my hands and my intuition to create something from  using the materials I have gathered and prepared for this process.

 


The stitches here represent a map of my travels to be with the bees of Vancouver Island, Kamloops, and Penticton. Following the transition of spring to summer, I was able to see the species of bees associated with the blooming plants at this time of the year.

 

 

I am both an introvert and an extrovert. I love the social aspect of bee school: bonding with old friends and meeting new friends with a passion for studying native bees. But I also need time on my own in a quiet place to focus on making, dreaming, and writing. The sound of the ocean and the birds around the cottage sooth me and create a a gentle and healing atmosphere. I have the time and space to fit the small, fragile pieces of my work into something I've imagined might be possible. Solitude helps me focus and make creative connections. I can hear myself think. I can reflect on possibilities. It's a luxury, but also a necessity.

 


I am grateful for all the people that have helped me get to this place. I am dependent on the kindness of the people I love, the wonderful folks who created this sanctuary (Brian and Sarah McLoughlin), as well as the staff at the Comox Valley Art Gallery who gifted me this opportunity, and hcma Victoria for providing me with the means to buy the materials and take the time to work on this piece.


No comments:

Post a Comment