Thursday, April 2, 2009

Ephemeral Art Lesson


On Wednesday snow fell on the plum tree blossoms outside the school windows as students made art with twigs, pussy willows, petals and various organic materials I had gathered over the past few months. I talked about some of the commonly used patterns in ephemeral art: spirals, checkerboard, circles within circles, and the radiant petals of the lotus blossom.

The students worked on individual pieces first, which I photographed. They were free to make as many pictures as they liked.

Next the students worked in groups of four, creating collaborative works.


Today I solarized some of the images in Photoshop and I love the rich colors of the results of this process. We'll print the images out and hang them in the classroom.







No comments:

Post a Comment