Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sunshine and Smoke

Hey, the sun is finally out and luckily on bee checkup day. We opened up both hives and found we have no queen in either hive. I feel deeply sad about this. We decided that we should take the chance and combine both hives so the small one has a chance and the large one could use the extra workers. We don't think the small hive is sick, just weak. The large hive got very pissed off about the new bees trying to get into their hive, so in this case I used smoke, which did calm them down a bit. It calmed me down a bit too. (Update: We are getting a virgin queen this weekend from Bob Fisher.)

I was really beginning to get SAD out of season with this lack of sunshine, so now I'd better go soak up as much vitamin D as possible. I hope the sun stays for awhile. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment